July 2007
As I blog this, the Official Family of Sir Charles is on the Magical Anniversary History Tour in San Diego. Honestly, I don't know how it could possibly be 20 years since we committed to going Aloha and breathing together and all that. More about that in a later, in a laid-back West Coast post.
I need to relate the travels of the Eldest Progeny and I to Gotham a couple weeks ago. It was our annual father-daughter get-away-for-a-few-summer-days thing. So if you don't want to read about that, please fell free to go over to twitter.com and read about how some guy resqueezed his meticulously bottom-up squeezed toothpaste tube to repair the damage done by his middle-squeezing girlfriend. We've all been there.
Eldest Progeny always smiles widely when she is in New York, emerging from Penn Station after a great no-taxi trip from JFK. The airport, you know.
A mini family reunion awaited us in the big city. Here we find official dad of Sir Charles; his brother, the awesome golfer and perennial club champion Uncle Dave; and Official Cousin Tim, a young guy just out of college loving it working in the ad industry somewhere in the Village. Plus all their significant-in-varying-degrees-of-significance other female companions. Tim's friend Kate is a public school elementary teacher, which is something that I for one admire greatly.
The mere thought of trying to do that in Manhattan intimidates the living daylights out of me, so kudos to Kate and good luck with that. Here are all of us posing at Washington Square in front of that arch where Harry dropped off Sally in that excellent flick When Harry Met Sally.
This is something I had never heard of. Bubble tea is iced and has tapioca berries in the bottom which you suck up in a large calibre straw.
The elevator has a button that I have not seen before.
It would be really nice if there were buttons like these all over the places where people need help.
It was lucky that I was there during the NYC triathlon, a chance to meet up with some friends and spectate. Here I found Don of the Mauna Kea altitude sickness, near-carbonic acid overload, ranger buttering-up post. His significant other, the awesome Lia, fixed a batch of smashing muffins. I was lucky enough to have had one and I can tell you that I am sure they were far higher on the Dandy Scale than the "best cupcakes anywhere".
Someone, I won't say who, thought Lia was my daughter. That is pretty funny, except for I think that, at least theoretically, I am indeed old enough. Zounds!
Speaking of the Doug Stern kids, here's friend Judy who was kind enough to meet us at Lalo's for creme brulee.
Broadway was fun as always. We saw Forbidden Broadway, the 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee, and Rent. I will not go to Les Miz anymore. Sorry, but I have seen this about 11 times. So even though "she's back", we did not avail ourselves of the opportunity to see the famous whirling stage set again, much to the chagrin of a certain 14-year-old.
The next few things are pictures of us doing touristy things in NYC. You can skip this if you want. I hope you don't consider these things a waste of your browser cache. I guess you can empty it if so. I just realized it took my whole San Diego vacation to write this. With that much time, it probably should have been better. Geez, hopefully you went to twitter when I suggested it 10 paragraphs and 8 days ago.
Here is proof that we completed the subway-bus Manhattan to Laguardia double. No cabs for us adventurous types. You might have read somewhere in here that Your Humble Bloggist digs public transportation. Oh yeah. 
PS When I spell checked this, "Zounds" survived, while "Geez" did not. I thought you might be interested to know that. I don't know why.
No comments:
Post a Comment